Thursday, July 13, 2017

Lilies


I've always been fascinated with large leaves, well really any leaves, for as long as I can remember. As a kid, I'd gather leaves in Audubon Park in the fall: oak, maple, chestnut.  I loved the shapes and the colors. Back at home, I heated paraffin on the stove in a soup can and when liquid, dipped each leaf in hot wax and laid it out on a paper towel to cool, thus preserving the beauty I found in nature. 

Now I'm preserving the beauty I find in nature in a different way. Scudder Pond is overgrowning with cattails and the lilies are tall and lush and more hidden. While paddleboarding on Padden Lake, I've passed clumps of lilies with hearty green seed pods floating where the flowers once bobbed yellow. I love the shape, the ridges, the heft of the pods and hope to take my drawing book out there and sketch one of these calm days. We'll see.

Anyway, here are a few paintings to enjoy.




See me in my studio at 1000 Harris, #6, Fairhave in Bellingham Washington, by appointment and the third Fridays of the month for artwalk.

No comments:

Google